Banana Nut Muffins
Who can resist the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked muffins wafting through the kitchen? When it comes to classic flavors that never disappoint, banana nut muffins reign supreme. Combining the natural sweetness of ripe bananas with the satisfying crunch of nuts, these moist and delectable treats are a go-to choice for breakfast, brunch, or anytime snacking. These muffins are one of my family’s most requested. If your family loves bananas baked into something delicious try my delicious hummingbird loaf, it’s a cross between banana bread and carrot cake and is absolutely divine! You can find the recipe here.
At the heart of these delightful muffins lies the dynamic duo: bananas and nuts. Bananas not only infuse the batter with a heavenly sweetness but also contribute to its moist texture. The addition of nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, introduces a delightful crunch and a nutty flavor profile that perfectly complements the banana’s natural sweetness. This harmonious blend creates a symphony of taste and texture that will leave your taste buds dancing. Add a crunchy sweet topping and that puts these muffins over-the-top delicious.
This post may contain links to products, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
I prefer to use a silicone muffin tray like the one below, I spray it lightly with non stick spray and the muffins fall out easily. This one has a sturdy metal frame, so it has some structure and does not need to be on a sheet pan while you bake. I love it!
To create a batch of heavenly banana nut muffins, you’ll need a few key ingredients:
- Ripe Bananas: Opt for bananas with speckled skins, as they offer the best flavor and natural sweetness.
- Nuts: pecans and walnuts are the most popular choices, but feel free to experiment with other nuts like almonds or hazelnuts.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour, depending on your preference. Whole wheat flour adds a nutty undertone and extra fiber.
- Sweeteners: While the bananas provide natural sweetness, a bit of sugar enhances the flavor further.
- Leavening Agents: Baking powder and baking soda work together to ensure your muffins rise and achieve the perfect fluffy texture.
- Flavor Enhancers: Add a pinch of cinnamon to elevate the taste and aroma of your muffins.
Key steps To Make Banana Nut Muffins:
- Mash the bananas: In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas until smooth. You can leave a few small chunks for added texture.
- Mix the wet ingredients: To the mashed bananas, eggs, and oil, and your choice of sweetener. Mix until combined.
- Then add the nuts, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- Create the batter by gently stirring everything together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as it can result in dense muffins.
- Bake to perfection: Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full with the batter and top with the crunchy topping then bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
As the aroma of freshly baked banana nut muffins fills your kitchen, anticipation builds. Once cooled, take a moment to appreciate the golden-brown tops, studded with bits of nuts, and the moist, tender crumb within. Pair these muffins with a steaming cup of coffee or tea, and allow the flavors to envelop your senses as you take your first bite.
Banana nut muffins are a timeless treat that perfectly balances sweetness, texture, and flavor. By incorporating ripe bananas and crunchy nuts, you create a delightful symphony of taste and texture that will leave you longing for more. So, gather your ingredients, embrace your inner baker, and savor the joy of homemade banana nut muffins.
Banana Nut Muffins
- 1 12 muffin tin *I use silicon, but you can use well oiled metal pan or liners.
For the Muffin base:
- 3 large Bananas, ripe (mashed)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped pecans *or nut of choice
For the topping:
- ¾ cups chopped pecans * or nut of choice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Prepare your pan with non stick cooking spray or butter (or paper liners)
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork and add in the ¾ cup granulated sugar and the egg and stir until well blended.
- Add in the ⅓ cup vegetable oil and mix well then add the 1½ cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp cinnamon and ¾ cup chopped pecans and mix to just combine. (avoid over mixing).
- In a separate small bowl, combine the second ¾ cups chopped pecans, the 2 Tbsp brown sugar and the 1 Tbsp melted butter until the nuts are coated.
- Using a scoop, fill each muffin cup to about 2/3 full then spoon some of the nut topping on each, until you use up all of the topping.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes , or until the muffins are a light golden brown on the top edges and a toothpick or testing probe comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them rest in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.