Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are a quick and easy way to make delicious mashed potatoes without the fuss. The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker that significantly reduces the cooking time, making it possible to have perfectly cooked potatoes in a matter of minutes. Plus, the Instant Pot is incredibly versatile and can be used for a wide variety of other dishes as well.
If you’re a fan of mashed potatoes, you know that they can be time-consuming to make. Between boiling the potatoes and mashing them by hand, it can take a while to get a creamy and fluffy texture. However, with an Instant Pot, making mashed potatoes has never been easier or faster!
This post may contain links to products, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Below is the Instant Pot that I have and LOVE!
Here’s how to make Instant Pot mashed potatoes:
- 4-6 large potatoes. (3 lbs)
- 1-2 cups water (enough to just cover the potatoes in the IP)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp salt (plus more for seasoning)
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- Peel and chop the potatoes into larger pieces.
- Place the chopped potatoes, water, and salt into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the valve to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual (pressure cook) mode for 8 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure manually by turning the valve to venting.
- Open the lid and drain water from the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or blend them with a hand mixer until they reach your desired texture. * Note do not use hand mixer for waxy potatoes such as Yukon gold or red skin.
- Add milk, a little at a time, until the mashed potatoes are creamy and fluffy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Use starchy potatoes like Russets for the fluffiest texture.
- Don’t overmix the potatoes, or they can become gummy.
- Add in any additional flavors like garlic, herbs, or cheese to customize the mashed potatoes to your liking.
- Be careful when releasing the pressure manually, as the steam can be very hot.
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are perfect for busy weeknights or when you need to make a large batch for a holiday dinner. They’re easy to make, require minimal clean-up, and taste delicious. With this simple recipe, you can have perfectly cooked mashed potatoes in no time and doing them in the Instant Pot also frees up your stovetop which is important especially when cooking for a crowd or around the holidays.
If you love your Instant Pot as much as I do then give my other Instant Pot recipes a try:
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef
- Instant Pot Roast Beef
- Easy Homemade Instant Pot Applesauce
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker
- 3 lbs potatoes, washed and peeled and cut into large 2" cubes
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk or cream
- wash, peel and chop the potatoes into large chunks (not too small or they will over cook in the IP)
- Put the chopped potatoes in the Instant Pot and cover with water, then add 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- Put the lid on the IP and make sure the vent is selected to seal. Close lid and set to pressure cook for 8 minutes
- Once the time is complete, quick release the IP
- Remove the inner pot, and drain the potatoes into a strainer, then return them to the IP
- mash with a hand masher in the IP then add 3 Tbsp butter and the½ cup milk or cream and continue mashing until smooth. Taste for salt and add more if you feel it necessary. (if you are using russet potatoes you can use a hand mixer to mash, however I don't recommend it for Yukon gold or red skins as they get gluey).
- Serve with your favorite meal and enjoy.