7 Layer Bars (Magic cookie Bars)
These 7 layer bars are a delicious and gooey when they’re warm so if you love a gooey dessert then whip up a batch and enjoy the sweet melty deliciousness. Whether you call them 7 layer bars, or magic bars they are one and the same. Just layer everything in a baking pan and bake, it’s that easy.
Once the bars have cooled cut them into squares and put them in an airtight container. They will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days (if they last that long), at room temperature. You can refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to freeze them, then I suggest wrapping each square individually then placing them in a freezer bag or container so you can just grab out how many you need. They make a great sweet ending to a school lunch…just saying..
These bars have been around for as long as I can remember. I can’t count the number of times I have made them as an afterschool snack for my kids, with plenty of leftovers to last the week… Well, if I am being honest, they likely won’t last that long unless you freeze some. Somehow they just disappear, maybe that’s the magic! Realistically they’ll last a day or two, everyone loves them!
These bars are also excellent for a potluck or if you need to bring something to a school event. You can just leave the nuts out if there is a concern about allergies.
They are also very flexible in terms of flavor. If you don’t like butterscotch chips, try peanut butter chips, and peanuts (instead of the pecans) or even white chocolate chips. The variations are only limited by your imagination (and the kinds of chips at your local store). There really is not much for ingredient prep if you buy pre made graham wafer crumbs. If you can’t find pre made crumbs then just process some graham crackers in a food processor or put them in a plastic bag and pound them into crumbs with a rolling pin. The rest is just a matter of opening packages and measuring out the ingredients.
If you are a beginner cook these are a great starter recipe. But I warn you now, you will want to make these again and again. Which is only a bad thing if you don’t have anyone to share them with.
7 Layer Bars
- 1 9×13 cake pan
- ½ cup butter or hard margarine melted
- 1 cup graham crumbs
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- melt butter (margarine) and pour into the bottom of the 9×12 pan (corner to corner)
- Sprinkle a layer of graham crumbs all over the butter and press down lightly to form the base
- Sprinkle the coconut in a layer over top of the graham crumbs
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the coconut
- Sprinkle the butterscotch chips evenly over the chocolate chips
- sprinkle the chopped nuts (if using) over the top of the previous layers
- Pour the condensed milk evenly over the entire pan, trying to get to every edge and corner.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes
- When done, remove from oven, let cool then cut into squares.