Queso (Mexican cheese dip with Velveeta)
This is my easy go to Mexican queso dip recipe when I want a hot cheesy dip to go along with tortilla chips. It is no comparison to the liquid cheese you get when you order nachos at a movie theatre or hockey game. It is way better in my opinion and so easy to make. You can spice it up or add extras to make it your own.
This recipe uses Velveeta cheese. If you don’t know what Velveeta cheese is, it’s a brand name of a processed cheese that tastes similar to what most people call American cheese (the slices wrapped in plastic). It has a soft and smooth texture and when it is melted it becomes creamy and smooth without lumps. Using Velveeta gives this queso a great consistency. The addition of cream cheese gives it a creamier more subtle taste. This dip can be made without the addition of cream cheese, but I prefer it with.
This dip is delicious as is but if you are adventurous you can certainly make almost any version of queso your heart desires. If you want extra spice and texture try adding some cooked chorizo, or scramble fry some ground beef with taco seasoning. You can also add fresh jalapenos which have been seeded and diced according to your heat tolerance.
You may find an extra can of Rotel also does the trick and you can even vary that by using either original, mild or hot or any combination of them to suit your preference. The point is that this queso is very forgiving and very flexible. You could also add some spiced black beans (drained).
This dip will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days (covered). When you want to have some more, just re heat it in the microwave, as it will have gotten thick and cold.
- 1 saucepan
- 1 microwaveable bowl if using the microwave instructions only
- 1 can Diced tomatoes and green chilies I use Rotel
- 1 450g package Velveeta
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- Dice velveeta and cream cheese into 1" cubes and place in saucepan
- Pour undrained Rotel over cheeses and turn heat on to med-hi heat
- Stir constantly until the cheeses melt completely and the sauce combines, about 5 minutes
- Serve warm as a dip with tortilla chips
- 1. scramble fry and drain chorizo and then add it to the dip
- 2. Add diced jalapenos
- 3. Add additional spices such as red pepper flakes, hot sauce, cumin to your taste