Cheesy Garlic Bread
This cheesy garlic bread is goodness in every bite! Loaded with cheeses, garlic and herbs it is the perfect addition to any meal. Slice and pull it apart as the melted cheesy goodness and aroma fill the room. This cheese bread will be gone in minutes, everyone will be coming back for a second piece (or a 3rd, if there’s any left).
This is one of my favorite breads to make and since you start with a store bought loaf, it’s even more simple. Yes, you can make your own french bread or Italian loaf, but WHY would you. For a weeknight side, this easy bread cannot be beat. It’s simple to put together, with ingredients you already have on hand and if you don’t have everything (say the exact cheese, then use what you do have. Even I vary the cheeses depending on what I have on hand, but I always include mozzarella and parmesan. Often I’ll add cheddar, colby jack, or jalapeno jack if I am serving this and want a little kick of heat.
As it is this cheesy garlic bread is a perfect side to any classic pasta dish or chicken parmesan. The italian flavors of both main and bread compliment each other.
Ingredients for Cheesy Garlic Bread
Loaf of French or Italian Bread
Butter (salted or unsalted-see note)
Salt and pepper
cheddar cheese (Optional)
Fresh parsley or basil (optional)
Equipment for Cheesy Garlic Bread:
Spray your aluminum foil lined sheet pan with non stick spray before placing the bread down.
If you like heat, add some red pepper flakes or a spicy cheese like Jalapeno jack, which melts well.
Do not cover the bread (if it starts to brown too fast, tent with foil, but don’t let it touch)
Spread cheeses to the edges to prevent the edges from burning.
Serve warm, not hot (you’ll burn your mouth – I know it’s hard to resist, but try).
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 sheet pan
- Parchment paper or Aluminum foil
- 1 loaf Italian or French Bread
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened *salted or unsalted (if using salted, omit additional salt)
- 4 large cloves Fresh garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt (omit if using salted butter)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste) *one or two cranks
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella (more if you want it extra cheesy)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or other variety *optional
- fresh parsley or basil for garnish *optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper (make sure the pan is large enough to hold the top and bottom of the bread
- Make the butter and garlic spread: In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, minced or grated garlic, dried parsley and oregano, salt (if adding) and pepper (to taste). Taste for seasoning and adjust if you feel it is needed.
- Split your loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Spread the butter and seasonings mixture evenly over both halves of the loaf and then transfer to the prepared sheet pan, leaving some space between the loaves.
- combine the mozzarella and parmesan in a bowl to evenly distribute the cheeses.
- Top each loaf half with half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese blend and spread evenly to the edges of the loaf.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes (checking at the 15 minute mark), until the cheese is melted and bubbly. If you want extra browning or more bubbly turn the broiler on for 1-2 minutes but make sure you watch it broil so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from oven when it reaches your desired doneness and garnish with fresh chopped parsley or fresh chopped basil.
- Slice each half into 8 portions, serve immediately and Enjoy!