Chicken and Chips
When it comes to creating a memorable meal, combining simple yet flavorful ingredients can take your dish to a new level. This Chicken and chips recipe, is a delicious combination of tender chicken breasts smothered in a creamy mushroom soup and sour cream sauce and topped with a crispy layer of Sour cream & Onion potato chips. This easy to make supper will please even the picky eaters in your family!
I’ve been making this chicken and chips casserole for many years. It’s one of the recipes my kids often would request. It’s super quick and easy to make and you likely have most or all of the ingredients on hand already (well maybe not the chips). If you don’t like the idea of chips on your casserole, go ahead and substitute something else cruncy. I would suggest crumbled buttery crackers like a Ritz but by all means use what you like and what you have. The chips are a treat, and my kids love them on top. If you don’t like the idea of crackers, you could also try crispy fried onions.
Two of my kids hate mushrooms yet the LOVE this casserole. It was many years before they figured out there were even mushrooms in it. It’s a good way to introduce the oft hated vegetable if you have a picky eater.
If you like the flavor of this casserole and want to try one that’s even more flavorful and just about as easy then try my Party Chicken Casserole, you can find the recipe here. It’s a similar recipe with a different taste profile and a different “cheesy” topping.
No Sour Cream Version of Chicken & Chips:
If you don’t like the idea of sour cream, or are trying to eat better you can substitute a good Greek Yogurt for the sour cream and you will not even know the difference. It gives the same creaminess with a bit more protein as well.
Chicken and Chips
- 1 medium casserole dish or 9×13 pan
- 1 sheet tray *for cooking the chicken
- 500 grams Chicken breast (or thigh), cut into 2" pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can sour cream (use the can from the soup) * 12 ounces/1.5 cups
- ⅓ bag sour cream and onion potato chips * large bag of chips or 1 small bag
- Preheat the oven to 400℉
- cut the chicken into pieces and season with salt and pepper. Alternatively, you can cook the chicken breasts whole, then cut into bite sized cubes once they are done cooking. (see photo in post)
- Place the chicken pieces on a sheet tray (lined with parchment for easy clean up-optional) and bake for 20 minutes until no longer pink
- While the chicken is baking, make the sauce by combining 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and 1 can sour cream (use the can from the soup) and mixing well.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the oven tray (cut if cooked whole) and put it in the casserole dish then pour the sauce over the chicken and even it out.
- Take the chips and crush them with your hand as you top the casserole with them, to cover the sauce. You can make them as small or as large as you like.
- Put in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly (if the chips begin to brown too much, put a lid on the casserole.)
- Serve with or over rice add a nice salad or veggies if you like.