Easy Homemade Chocolate Truffle Recipe
The velvety richness of homemade chocolate truffles made with sweetened condensed milk are the perfect addition to your holiday dessert table. These bite-sized confections are easy to make and also irresistibly decadent. Whether you’re a seasoned chocolatier or a novice in the kitchen, this chocolate truffle recipe will make your holiday baking and treat making easy and delicious.
With a good quality chocolate and some sweetened condensed milk you can have decadent truffles in no time at all. If you want to make your truffles the “boozy” kind then by all means add a few tablespoons of your favorite liqueur to the mix in place of the vanilla and voila! Yum
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups high-quality chocolate (dark, milk, or a combination), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Optional coatings: cocoa powder, powdered sugar, finely chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or melted chocolate for dipping
You May Also Like: Easy Christmas Nougat Recipe
- Prepare the Chocolate Mixture: In a heatproof bowl, combine the finely chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and the sweetened condensed milk. Heat over low heat to melt the chocolate and combine, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract or liqueur of choice
- Chill the Mixture: Allow the chocolate mixture to cool to room temperature, and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 1-2 hours or until it becomes firm enough to handle.
- Forming Truffle Balls: Once chilled, use a spoon or a melon baller to scoop out small portions of the mixture and roll them into bite-sized balls. Place the formed truffle balls on a parchment-lined tray.
- Coating Options: Roll the truffle balls in your desired coatings, such as cocoa powder, powdered sugar, finely chopped nuts, or shredded coconut. Alternatively, you can dip them in melted chocolate for an extra layer of indulgence.
- 1 medium saucepan
- 3 175g packages of semi sweet chocolate chips *or your favorite
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract *optional Liqueurs of choice (2-4 Tbsp) instead of the vaniall extract.
For the coatings
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- crushed candy cane dust
- espresso powder
- sprinkles *colored to match the occassion
- finely chopped nuts
- powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan over med heat, add the 3 175g packages of semi sweet chocolate chips and 1 can sweetened condensed milk and melt until nearly smooth, remove from heat then add the 1 tsp vanilla extract (or liqueurs if using-2-4 Tbsp depending on how strong you want them)
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover loosely with plastic and put in the refrigerator to chill 1 – 2 hours until firm.
- using a mini scoop, roll about 1 Tbsp of filling into balls about 1" diameter
- Add 3-4 Tbsp of your favorite topping or toppings to a small bowl or plate, then roll each truffle into one topping then chill 1 hour.
- Store covered at room temperature in an airtight container
These simple, yet rich homemade candies are every bit as delicious as truffles from a high-priced candy store. You can enjoy them yourself or make them as a gift to give to a friend or family member.