Instant Pot Shredded Pork
Instant Pot Shredded Pork is a delight and when it comes to mouthwatering shredded pork, there’s no better way to achieve tender perfection than with the help of an IP or pressure cooker. This innovative kitchen gadget has revolutionized cooking, allowing you to create delicious, restaurant-quality meals with minimal effort. Follow below for the steps to create succulent and flavorful shredded pork using the Instant Pot. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds and impress your guests with this delectable dish!
If you like to have a good pork rub on hand then make a big batch. I always have a jar of my pork rub in my pantry ready to go. It is really a time saver. You can find my pork rub recipe here.
This post may contain links to products, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet then you don’t know what you’re missing. The one I use is linked below. It is amazing
What you Need for Instant Pot Shredded Pork:
To make this delightful shredded pork, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 to 3 pounds of pork shoulder or pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
- olive oil
- chicken or vegetable broth
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar (or apple juice)
- smoked paprika
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dry mustard
- cayenne (adjust according to your spice preference)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: Barbeque sauce
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” mode and add the vegetable oil. Allow it to heat up for a minute or two.
- Season the pork generously with the seasoning mix. Place the pork in the Instant Pot and sear it on all sides until browned. This step adds depth and richness to the flavor.
- Once the pork is seared, remove it from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
- Pour in the liquid to deglaze the pot, scraping off any browned bits from the bottom. These flavorful bits will enhance the taste of the dish.
- Return the seared pork to the Instant Pot, making sure to coat it with the sauce. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to “Pressure Cook” mode on high pressure. Cook the pork for approximately 35-40 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the meat.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for about 10 minutes. Then, carefully perform a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the pork from the Instant Pot and transfer it to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. If desired, you can pour some of the cooking liquid or barbeque sauce over the shredded pork to keep it moist and flavorful.
- Serve the shredded pork in buns (with barbeque sauce), tacos, sandwiches, sliders, or alongside rice and beans. You can also garnish it with your favorite toppings like diced onions, fresh cilantro, lime juice, for a more Mexican flavor profile.
With the help of the Instant Pot, creating succulent and tender shredded pork has never been easier. This versatile dish can be the star of your next gathering or a delightful weeknight dinner. The combination of flavors and the tenderness of the meat will have your taste buds dancing with joy. So, grab your Instant Pot, gather the ingredients, and get ready to indulge in this flavorsome delight. Your friends and family will be coming back for seconds and asking for your secret recipe!
Instant Pot Shredded Pork
- 1 Instant Pot or pressure cooker
For the Seasoning rub
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar light or dark
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cumin *for a Mexican flavor
For the Meat
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut into large cubes (3 or 4")
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Apple juice or apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup broth (chicken or vegetable is preferred)
- 1 Fresh Jalapeno pepper, roughly chopped *if you want extra spice
- 1 medium onion, chopped large
- ¼ cup Barbeque sauce, your favorite *Optional if making bbq version
- 1-2 Tbsp Hot Sauce, your favorite *Optional for extra spice
To finish the pork
- Barbeque sauce *if making bbq version
- hot sauce *if making Mexican version
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices and mix with a fork, set aside
- Dry the pork then cut into 4" cubes, rub the seasoning mixture over the pork pieces covering them on all sides
- Turn the IP on to the saute function and add the Olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the pork in batches and brown the pieces on all sides, removing to a plate until all of the pork is browned about 5 minutes.
- Once all of the pork is browned and set aside on a plate, turn the IP off
- Add the broth and apple juice or apple cider vinegar and the barbeque sauce (if making bbq pork) and hot sauce if desired and using a wooden spoon, deglaze the pot, scraping the bits off of the bottom. Then return the pork to the pot.
- If using, add the jalapeno and onion at this time, then place the lid on the IP and set to pressure cook for 35 minutes, make sure the vent is set to SEAL
- Once the cook time is done, let the IP natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release the vent to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the pork and shred with two forks. Add additional barbeque sauce and/or hot sauce before serving.
- Serve on buns, or in tacos