Watermelon Feta Salad
A surprisingly delicious combination of watermelon, cucumber, mint, feta cheese and red onion make up this Watermelon Feta Salad. It is a perfect summer salad that blends sweet and savory in one delicious bite. Watermelon and cucumbers are one of the most refreshing and surprising combinations, but they just work! Add in some salty feta, tangy red onions and fresh mint and you have a killer summer salad. With that salty sweet perfectly balanced and a simple vinaigrette to bring it all together it’s the perfect side dish for the summer. Pair it along side grilled chicken or steak or for that matter a good ‘ole burger.
I absolutely love the salty feta and sweet watermelon combo. If you’re not a fan of fresh mint, you can absolutely substitute fresh basil for the mint. I have make it both ways and to be perfectly honest, I love them both.
This salad is best served soon after it is dressed with an absolutely delicious and simple lime vinaigrette. Before final seasoning make sure to give it a taste as the salinity of feta cheeses vary and you made need little or no extra salt at all.
Another good hint is if you are not particularly fond of a harsh red onion and want to tame it down, just soak the thinly sliced onions in some cold water for 10 minutes and this will tame them right down. Just dry them on a paper towel before adding to the salad. This is a good hack to know anytime you want to tame a red onion.
Fresh mint can also be a bit finicky. It tends to oxidize very quickly once it’s cut, and it will begin to turn black. Add the mint last, just before serving to preserve its vibrancy, and flavor.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 T fresh lime juice aprox 1 lime
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 5 cups watermelon cubed into 1″
- 1 1/2 cups diced english cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion soak in cold water for a few minutes if you want to make them a bit milder.
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup Mint chiffonade or torn
- 1/2 jalapeno or serrano pepper thinly sliced optional
- Sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl or jar, add the ingredients for the dressing and mix or shake (jar) vigorously to combine.
- Arrange the watermelon, cucumber, and red onions in a large serving bowl or plate and drizzle with half of the dressing.
- Top with feta, mint and pepper (if using), then drizzle the remaining dressing and toss gently to combine. Season to taste.