Apple Pie Filling
Homemade apple pie filling is a delicious and versatile treat that can be used in a variety of different recipes. Use it as a topping for ice cream, a filling for crepes, or as the star ingredient in your next pie. Customize the flavor to your liking by adjusting the amount of sugar and spices in the recipe. With a little bit of time and effort, you can create a homemade apple pie filling that will impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
There’s nothing quite like the sweet and tangy taste of homemade apple pie filling. Apple pie is a classic dessert that is enjoyed by people all over the world. A delicious apple pie is made with a flaky crust and a flavorful filling. While store-bought pie fillings are convenient, making your own homemade apple pie filling is a great way to ensure that you are using fresh, high-quality ingredients and can customize the flavor to your liking. It is super easy and quick and once you realize just how much more economical it is as well, you may never use store bought pie filling again.
If you want an easy and fantastic recipe using this filling try my Easy Apple Strudel recipe here.
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 medium saucepan or pot
- 6 medium Apples (I use granny smith)
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp water
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Peel, core and dice the apples into 1 cm cubes (roughly)
- In the pot, melt the 3 Tbsp butter, melted then add the 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Once melted and combined, add in the 6 medium Apples that have been diced or sliced (if you prefer), the ½ cup Granulated sugar½ cup Granulated sugar and 4 Tbsp water
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes until the apples have softened a bit.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 Tbsp Cornstarch and the 2 Tbsp water to make a slurry then add to the apple mixture and cook until the sauce is thickened and the apples are tender but not mushy. Let cool
- Once cooled you can use in your favorite recipe
Freezing your Homemade Apple Pie Filling:
If you have made a large batch of homemade apple pie filling and don’t plan to use it all at once, freezing it is a great way to preserve it for later use. Here are the steps to follow to freeze homemade apple pie filling:
- Let the filling cool completely before freezing. This will prevent the formation of ice crystals and maintain the texture of the apples.
- Transfer the cooled filling to an airtight container or freezer bag. Be sure to leave some room at the top of the container or bag to allow for expansion during freezing.
- Label the container or bag with the date and contents, so you can easily identify it later.
- Place the container or bag in the freezer and freeze for up to three months.
When you are ready to use the frozen apple pie filling, follow these steps:
- Remove the filling from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once thawed, the filling may have a slightly different texture than fresh filling. To restore the texture, gently reheat the filling in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Use the filling as desired in your favorite apple pie recipes.
By freezing homemade apple pie filling, you can enjoy the delicious taste of homemade apple pie throughout the year. Just be sure to follow proper storage and thawing techniques to maintain the quality of the filling.