Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
This blog post may contain affiliate links to products as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal prep option that’s high in protein, shredded chicken is a great choice. And with the Instant Pot, it’s easier than ever to make. Below is a simple recipe for Instant Pot shredded chicken that you can use in all kinds of dishes. I have included one flavor option (Mexican) but you can add any flavor that you like. If you are making an italian dish think Oregano and basil. Or you can just make it plain and then add your flavorings as you decide what dish you are making. This shredded chicken will last in your refrigerator for 3 or 4 days ready to go into your favorite supper
Overall, Instant Pot shredded chicken is a versatile and easy-to-make ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. Give this recipe a try and see how you can incorporate it into your meal prep routine.
If you don’t have an instant pot yet, here’s the link to the one I use
Tips for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- If you prefer a spicier flavor, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the seasoning blend.
- You can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you prefer dark meat.
- If you’re short on time, you can skip the seasoning step and simply use salt and pepper. The chicken will still be delicious.
Ways to use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Tacos: Serve the shredded chicken in warm tortillas with your favorite taco toppings, like avocado, salsa, and shredded cheese.
- Burritos, quesadillas, fajitas, chimichangas……any Mexican dish
- Salads: Add the shredded chicken to a bed of greens and veggies for a protein-packed salad.
- Sandwiches: Use the shredded chicken to make a tasty sandwich, like a chicken salad sandwich or a BBQ chicken sandwich.
- Soups: Add the shredded chicken to your favorite soup recipe for a hearty and filling meal.
- Pizza: Add shredded chicken as a topping on your favorite homemade pizza.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For Basic Shredded Chicken
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
For Mexican Flavored Shredded Chicken (for use in mexican dishes)
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, and whatever seasoning blend you want (see above)
- Pour the 1 cup chicken broth into the Instant Pot and add the seasoned chicken breasts.
- Close the lid and set the valve to "sealing." Set the Instant Pot to "manual" or "pressure cook" on high for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes. After that, you can quick release any remaining pressure by turning the valve to "venting."
- Open the lid and remove the chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken. It should be very tender and easy to shred.
- Serve the shredded chicken immediately, use in your favorite recipe, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.