Carrot Cake Bars
Carrot cake bars are a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of traditional carrot cake with the convenience of a bar. They are typically made with grated carrots, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, spices such as cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and sometimes other ingredients like raisins or nuts.
Carrot cake is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. However, sometimes we don’t have the time or energy to make a full cake. That’s where carrot cake bars come in! These delicious treats combine all the flavors of traditional carrot cake with the convenience of a bar.
One of the great things about carrot cake bars is that they can be enjoyed as a snack or dessert, making them a versatile treat for any occasion. They are also a great way to use up leftover carrots, which is a win-win situation!
But what really sets these carrot cake bars apart is the cream cheese swirl, which is baked into the bar rather than frosted with it. The tangy and creamy swirl pairs perfectly with the spiced carrot cake, adding an extra layer of indulgence.
Carrot cake bars are perfect for any time of year, but they are especially popular during the spring and summer months when fresh carrots are in season. They are also a great dessert for Easter and other holidays, as the carrot cake represents new beginnings and fresh starts.
In addition to being delicious, carrot cake bars can also be a healthier dessert option. Carrots are a good source of fiber, vitamin A, and other essential nutrients. By using whole wheat flour and reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe, you can make a healthier version of carrot cake bars that still tastes amazing.
These carrot cake bars are a tasty and convenient dessert that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a show-stopping dessert for your next event, these bars are the perfect choice. So why not whip up a batch today and enjoy the delicious flavors of carrot cake in a convenient and portable bar form?
Tips for Carrot Cake Bars:
- Use fresh carrots: The star ingredient in carrot cake bars is, of course, the carrots. Make sure you use fresh, high-quality carrots for the best flavor and texture. You can grate them by hand or use a food processor for convenience.
- Add some extra flavor: While traditional carrot cake bars are delicious, you can take them to the next level by adding some extra flavor. Try adding raisins, chopped nuts, or even shredded coconut to the batter for added texture and taste.
- Use cream cheese frosting: Cream cheese frosting is the classic topping for carrot cake, and it’s just as delicious on carrot cake bars. Be sure to let the bars cool completely before frosting to prevent the frosting from melting.
- Experiment with spices: While cinnamon and nutmeg are the classic spices used in carrot cake, you can experiment with other spices to add extra flavor. Try adding ginger, cloves, or cardamom to the batter for a different taste experience.
- Make them healthier: If you want to make your carrot cake bars a bit healthier, try using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe, and adding in some extra grated carrots or even zucchini for added nutrients.
- Store properly: Carrot cake bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to a week. Be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying out. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Cut them first so you can grab a couple squares when you want.
Carrot Cake Bars
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Cheesecake Swirl
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside or line the pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Place the ½ cup butter meltedin a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds to melt the butter completely.
- in a medium bowl, combine the melted butter and 1 cup light brown sugar packed. stir to combine making sure there are no lumps from the brown sugar
- add in 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, stir to combine
- Add the 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir until completely combined then fold in the 1 cup shredded carrots Set aside while you make the swirl.
For the Cream cheese Swirls
- in a medium bowl, add in the 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature and ¼ cup granulated sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the 1 large egg yolk and ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy.
To Assemble the Bars
- Add about half of the carrot cake batter into the pan and spread it out with an offset spatula
- Drop about half of the swirl batter over the carrot cake batter by spoonfuls
- Add the remaining carrot cake batter on top of the cheesecake batter and around the cheesecake batter.
- Add the remaining cheesecake batter by adding dollops on top of the carrot cake batter
- Using a knife or skewer, swirl the batters together until you feel you have a good mix of both on. top
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Test with a cake tester for doneness. It should come out clean. Cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator