Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Creamy mushroom sauce is a versatile and delicious sauce that can elevate any dish to the next level. Whether you’re serving it over pasta, chicken, pork chops, steak, or vegetables, this sauce is the perfect complement to almost any dish.
With fresh mushrooms, cream, and a few simple seasonings, you can make a rich and luscious sauce that will impress your guests and satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try and enjoy the amazing flavor of this delicious sauce!
Mushrooms are a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. One of the most popular ways to incorporate mushrooms into a meal is by making a creamy mushroom sauce. This rich and savory sauce can be used as a topping for meats, vegetables, pasta, and more.
Making a creamy mushroom sauce is surprisingly easy and requires only a few simple ingredients. The key to a good mushroom sauce is to use high-quality mushrooms and to let them cook down until they release their moisture and become tender.
This basic recipe can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences. For example, you can add a splash of white wine to the sauce to give it a tangy flavor. Or, you can add some grated Parmesan cheese to make it even richer and more decadent.
Creamy mushroom sauce is a great addition to many dishes. It pairs well with grilled chicken or steak, roasted vegetables, and pasta dishes. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for bread or vegetables, keeping it completely vegetarian.
One of the best things about creamy mushroom sauce is that it can be made ahead of time and reheated when needed. This makes it a great option for meal prep or for entertaining guests.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 1 medium saucepan
- ½ large onion, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 227 grams mushrooms, washed and sliced * I prefer crimini but you can use any kind
- salt & pepper to taste *start with ¼ tsp of each
- ¼ tsp thyme (fresh if you have it)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup sherry or white wine * I prefer the taste of the Sherry
- ½ cup beef broth (or chicken) * vegetable broth (if you are making the dish vegetarian)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Saute ½ large onion, sliced thin in the 2 Tbsp butter for 3 to 5 minutes until softened
- Add 227 grams mushrooms, washed and sliced, salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid add the 1 clove garlic, mincedand ¼ tsp thyme (fresh if you have it) and continue cooking until fragrant and the juices have evaporated
- Add the ½ cup sherry or white wine to the pan to deglaze and cook it for a minute to cook off the alcohol and the Sherry has mostly evaporated
- Add in the ½ cup beef broth (or chicken) and stir to combine, then add in the ¾ cup heavy cream and continue cooking over medium heat and keep cooking until the sauce thickens and is reduced by half.
- Taste for seasoning and serve over pasta, pork chops, chicken or whatever you want.
Tips for the best Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
The key to a good creamy mushroom sauce is a balance of flavors and textures. You want the sauce to be rich and creamy, with a depth of flavor from the mushrooms. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Use fresh mushrooms: Fresh mushrooms are essential for a good mushroom sauce. Look for button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or shiitake mushrooms. Avoid canned mushrooms, as they can be mushy and lack flavor.
- Saute the mushrooms first: Before adding the cream, saute the mushrooms in butter or olive oil until they are tender and lightly browned. This step adds depth of flavor to the sauce and helps to develop the umami taste of the mushrooms.
- Use cream: The cream is what makes the sauce creamy and luscious. You can use heavy cream or half-and-half, depending on how rich you want the sauce to be.
- Add flavorings: To enhance the flavor of the sauce, add garlic, shallots, or onions. You can also add fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or parsley.