Easy Egg Bites
Make your mornings easy by making these easy egg bites for those grab and go mornings. All you need is 15 seconds in the microwave to warm these little bites up. They are low in carbs and high in protein if that is something that matters to you. However, the biggest plus they have going for them is their ease and portability. I know that my daughter doesn’t always leave herself enough time in the mornings for a proper breakfast, but she needs something to give her some energy for the start of her day. I started making these little egg bites so she could just grab a couple and toss them in the microwave as she heads out the door.
I know there are a lot of egg bite recipes out there, this one happens to be our favorite. I have made a few different ones, but my daughter prefers the texture of these ones. The process is probably what gives them the better texture. By blending the eggs with some cheese (cottage or cream cheese) it creates a fluffier egg base. Season that mix with salt and pepper and if you like, a shot or two of hot sauce, or some chili flakes. Top the egg base off with your favorite cheeses and meats and bake these little flavor bombs so they’re ready when you need a quick breakfast on the go.
If you are making vegetarian egg bites then the time will be reduced quite a bit as I have added time for cooking bacon and vegetables in the recipe. The bottom line is they take a little time and effort once, then you have no time and effort for the rest of the week! Breakfast on the go is done.
Easy Egg Bites
- 1 muffin tin (12 cup)
- 9 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (divided) *1/2 cup for egg mixture 1/2 cup for filling
- ½ cup cottage cheese or cream cheese *full fat
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 slices cooked bacon *Or ham, cooked sausage
- ½ cup fresh spinach chopped and cooked *Or veg of choice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (for spinach) *optional
- chili flakes (dash) *optional
preheat oven to 375°
- Pre cook your bacon and/or sausage before you begin making the egg mixture
- saute the spinach and garlic in the bacon pan until wilted, season with Salt & pepper
For the Egg bite base
- Combine the eggs, first 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, cottage cheese * and salt and pepper and chili flakes (if using) in a blender and blend to combine for 20 seconds until frothy
For the fillings
- Spray the inside of the muffin cups with non stick spray
- Pour egg mixture into the muffin cups. Full 3/4 full
- Divide the meat and vegetables you have chosen between the 12 muffin cups and top with the second 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of choice
- Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the center of the egg bites is just set (they won't jiggle), and the tops have begun to brown. They will puff up, but will fall once they come out of the oven
- Once done, remove from oven to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the tray. Let them cool completely if you intend on freezing them.