Easy Pizza Dough Recipe for beginners
The thought of making home made pizza dough may seem daunting at first, but don’t worry, it is actually quite simple to make and it really is worthwhile. Make a double batch and freeze for next time if you are thinking ahead. Once you try this you will be making and eating Pizza more frequently, I promise. Add your choice of toppings and everyone in the family is happy, no more ordering multiple pizzas to please everyone! If you freeze some of the dough for another night, just remember to take it out of the freezer the night before you want to use it, and put it in your refrigerator overnight to thaw, then use as normal.
Let’s face it pizza is all about the toppings, but without a good base, the toppings often don’t shine. I have a few different recipes for pizza dough, but this one is a good “starter” recipe.
This is a great recipe for beginners of bread making of any kind. It is forgiving, and quite simple. You can use a mixer or just make it by hand, both work. The recipe below is for making it by hand, but if you prefer not to get your hands dirty, by all means use your mixer. Once all of the ingredients are mixed you can knead it with the machine for a couple of minutes, but I always prefer to finish the kneading by hand. Just to ensure a smooth soft texture before you let it rise.
If you don’t have quick rise yeast you can use active dry yeast, just bloom (activate) the yeast in the warm water for 10 minutes, then add the mixture to the recipe as directed. If you do use active dry in place of rapid rise yeast, your rise time will increase a bit.
This pizza dough recipe is very simple and only takes a few minutes to put together. It is important to get a soft dough as this will make the best pizza, and let it rise in a warm place. Start with 2 cups of flour and add the last half cup a bit at a time until you have a soft dough that is not too sticky to handle.
Homemade Pizza Dough For Beginners
- 2 ½ c flour white, brown or a mix
- 1 tbsp quickrise yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c warm water
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add wet ingredients and stir.
- This should be a soft dough. Knead for a few minutes on a floured surface.
- Add a bit of flour to the surface as needed to make dough easy to handle.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover it and allow it to rise in a warm place for about ½ an hour or more, until the dough is about double in size.
- Spread or roll onto an oiled or greased pan starting at center of dough and pushing out with the side of your hands towards the edge of the pan until the pan is covered and the dough is evenly spread out. Add your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.
- Bake at 425° for about 17 minutes. This will make one large pizza or two smaller ones.