The holiday season is upon us, and it’s the perfect time to indulge in delightful treats that bring comfort and joy. One such classic holiday favorite that never fails to please the taste buds is Whipped Shortbread. These holiday cookies are light, buttery, and practically melt in your mouth, making them a must-have for festive gatherings and cozy evenings by the fireplace. My family has been enjoying this exact recipe for generations. We love it and i am sure you will too. So don your apron and give it a go! Your guests and family will be glad that you did.
The Magic of Whipped Shortbread:
1. Simple Ingredients, Extraordinary Flavor:
Whipped Shortbread is a testament to the fact that sometimes, the simplest recipes yield the most extraordinary results. With just a handful of basic ingredients – butter, flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and vanilla – you can create a batch of cookies that will leave everyone craving for more.
2. Whipping Up the Perfect Texture:
The key to the ethereal texture of these shortbread cookies lies in the name itself – whipping. The butter is whipped to perfection, creating a light and airy consistency that contributes to the delicate, crumbly nature of the cookies. It’s this process that sets Whipped Shortbread apart from its denser counterparts.
3. Customizable Creativity:
While the classic recipe is a timeless favorite, one of the joys of making Whipped Shortbread is the ease with which you can add your own creative twist. Incorporate flavors like vanilla, almond, or even a hint of citrus to elevate the taste. For a festive touch, consider adding colorful sprinkles, nuts or candied fruit or gently press a festive stamp into each cookie before baking.
However you decided to decorate these (or not at all), they will not disappoint. The bigger problem lies in not “taste testing” too many before your guests and family get a chance.
If you want to get fancy with whipped shortbread then try my cookie press version of Whipped Shortbread. You can find the recipe here. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is a delightful and foolproof way to spread the joy of the holidays. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to savor the heavenly taste of Whipped Shortbread – a true classic that stands the test of time.
- 1 stand mixer or hand mixer
- 1 lb butter
- 1 cup Confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup Cornstarch (cornflour)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tso Vanilla extract
- Cream together the 1 lb butter and 1 cup Confectioner's sugar' until fluffy and light colored
- Add in ½ cup Cornstarch (cornflour) and 3 cups all purpose flour (1 cup at a time and mixing between additions),
- add 1 tso Vanilla extract and mix in.
- Using a spoon, drop heaping tablespoons onto a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Decorate with candied cherries, sliced almonds, nonpareils or sprinkles and bake at 350℉ for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom (check edge).
- Once they are done, transfer to a cooling rack until colled, then store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.