There is just something about soft chewy caramels. I don’t know about you but it just screams Christmas to me. No matter what baking I do for the holidays, caramels are a must have, must make, must eat! This recipe is one I have made for years and is often included in the annual scavenger hunt treat/sweet bags.
If you want to make caramels to serve or give away without too much fuss then you must try these. They are made in the microwave in 6 minutes, yes you read that correctly, SIX minutes. then refrigerate for a bit and cut and wrap or plate up for friends and family. Trust me, they will be gone in a short time and they will be looking for more. I use Christmas themed wax paper for my wrappers you can purchase them on Amazon here.
These caramels are easy and delicious and for a twist add a touch of pink himalayan or flaked salt for an absolutely ideal treat. My favorite is Malden flaked salt, but use what you have. I did find that my usual grocery store did not have anything but smoked Malden Salt when I went to buy it, however I was able to find the Malden Flaked Salt on amazon as well. click Here for the link. That contrast between the sweet and salty is amazing. Even Santa himself will love a caramel or two, so make sure to add a few to his plate of cookies on Christmas Eve!
- 1 8X8 square glass baking dish
- 1 Large microwave safe bowl
- ½ cup Salted butter (melted) * you can use unsalted if you prefer½
- ½ cup Light Corn syryp
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla * Add AFTER 6½ minute microwave time
- ¼ tsp table salt * if NOT making salted caramels *omit if you are adding salt to the tops
- Flaked Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt (for top)
- 1 tsp butter for the dish, or parchment paper
- chocolate, melted
- Prepare your pan with either butter or parchment (hang parchment over edge of you pan to make it easier to remove the caramel once it has cooled.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the first amount of butter
- Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT vanilla and the salt for the top, stir
- Microwave on high for 6½ minutes. The mixture will bubble up quite a bit so make sure you use a bowl with plenty of room, remove carefully
- Stir in Vanilla
- Carefully pour the caramel into your prepared 8×8 pan and allow it to set up on top for a minute then add the flaked or himalayan salt (if using)
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into caramels. (tip* butter your knife slightly for easy slicing) then wrap your caramels in pieces of wax paper for gifting.
- If you prefer chocolate, you can also drizzle some melted chocolate on the tops in addition to or in place of the salt.