Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef
This post may contain links to products, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and flavorful meal that will please the whole family, look no further than Instant Pot shredded Mexican beef. This versatile dish can be used in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, salads, and more, making it perfect for meal prep or weeknight dinners.
Mexican food is one of our family favorites and this Instant Pot shredded Mexican beef is at the top of the list. It is tender and flavorful and can be done in less than two hours with the help of an Instant Pot of pressure cooker and a few pantry staples you likely already have on hand. I use beef chuck roast which is budget-friendly, but you can use any roast you have really. If your roast has tons of marbling then maybe reduce the pressure cook time by 5 minutes or so, a tough cut increase by 5. Taco Tuesdays here we go!
I typically use a roast that is about 2.5 lbs and cut it into 3 or 4 chunks which also helps get it tender in a short amount of time. This beef is so versatile you can use it in just about any Mexican beef dish you can think of. We love it in small flour tortillas that have been heated over the open flame on my cooktop. This browning adds a nice flavor to the tortilla shell itself. Serve it anyway you like. If you like burritos, then I suggest some rice and beans inside along with the beef and maybe some cotija cheese. A big plate of nachos and cheese topped with this shredded beef and the rest of the usual toppings is amazing. Shredded beef quesadillas is also always a hit in our home. Any way you like it will be delicious. Enjoy your delicious and easy Instant Pot shredded Mexican beef! This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner or for meal prep for the week ahead. You can even freeze the leftovers for future meals.
Add extra spice by the addition of more jalapenos either when cooking, or on top when you serve. A little hot sauce also goes a long way. I serve it on the table so my family can add as much or as little (for the one that doesn’t like spicy food) as they want.
If you are in a real hurry you can just season the beef then dump everything into the instant pot set it and forget it. But taking the time to sear the beef and saute the veggies adds an extra layer of flavor that I really think is worth the time.
If you want another excellent beef recipe in the Instant Pot, then try my Instant Pot Roast Beef. It’s excellent for beef dip sandwiches.
Here is the link to the Instant pot that I use.
Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef
- 1 Instant Pot (pressure cooker)
Spice Blend for the Roast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into ⅕" slices
- 2 Fresh Jalapeno peppers, sliced *I recommend leaving the seeds and veins in for flavor
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped in half
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2-3 lbs beef chuck roast *any kind but the more marbled the better
Extras for Serving (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- avocado or guacamole
- pico de gallo, or diced red onion
- sour cream
- If the roast is large, cut it into 2-3 pieces to fit into the instant pot. In a small bowl, combine the spices and sprinkle over the roast evenly on all sides and set aside.
- Turn the instant pot to saute and add the olive oil, once it is hot add the beef chunks and saute on all sids, remove to a plate and set aside while you cook the veggies.
- Add an additional 2 T of olive oil and the onion, jalapenos and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes then CANCEL the saute function.
- Add the broth to the hot Instant Pot and deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Return the beef and juices to the Instant Pot, put some of the onion and jalapenos on top of the beef, leaving some for a base then secure the lid on the instant pot, set the vent to SEAL and set the function to Pressure Cook for 50 minutes.
- When the instant pot is done, let it Natural Release for an additional 10 minutes, then open the pressure release valve quickly to release any remaining pressure, once done, remove the lid.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board and with two forks, shred the beef. then squeeze half a lime over the beef for brightness and acidity. If you want to keep it very moist, put it in a bowl and spoon some of the cooking liquid over top (and onions, jalapenos), then use the beef in your favorite recipe
- Serve in tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, taco salads, enchiladas with all of the usual accompaniments.
Here are some Ideas for using your Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef:
- Tacos-like the ones above
- Quesadillas-great for leftover shredded beef, just add cheese and peppers and you have dinner in a hurry!
- Burritos- make ahead with rice and beans and freeze!
- Enchiladas-use shredded beef in place of ground beef or chicken, then make the recipe as usual
- Nachos – Switch ground beef out and use this shredded beef
- Mexican Sliders- just add the beef to a small bun and enjoy.
- Make your own “hot pockets”. use store bought puff pastry cut into rectangles, add the beef and some cheese and hot sauce (optional) and top with another piece of pastry, seal with egg and bake until golden brown and delicious.
- Shepherds pie (or cottage Pie) – Mexican version, using this shredded beef
- Breakfast enchiladas – serve with scrambled eggs and cheese and wrap in a warm tortilla. These also freeze well.