Sausage rolls are a classic snack that can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. They are perfect for parties, picnics, or even as a quick and easy snack on-the-go. Making homemade sausage rolls is not only easy but also a fun activity for the whole family. Below you will find the easy step-by-step process of making delicious homemade sausage rolls.
If you want to make them super simple you can simply purchase your favorite sausage and start from there. If you want to add your own favorite seasonings like I do, then just remove the sausage meat from the casings and mix in some of your favorite seasonings. I like sage and nutmeg, but fennel is also very popular. Just add small amounts then mix and fry a tiny bit of the mixture so you can taste it cooked. Once you have the flavor you really like, then just add to the puff pastry and bake as directed.
If you want to make a double batch (one package of puff pastry) just double the recipe below. The sausage rolls can be frozen once cut and then pulled out of the freezer and baked fresh when you want a few. I cut them to the size I like (usually just a couple of inches), then place them on a parchment lined sheet tray and freeze them for a couple of hours. Once they are frozen, remove from the tray and put into freezer bags and freeze. To cook from frozen bake for 40 minutes, from the fridge bake as directed.
Quick and Easy Sausage Rolls
- sheet pan
- ½ package puff pastry (1 sheet) *all butter puff pastry is best
- 500g package pre made pork sausage meat *remove from casing
- ½ tsp dried sage (optional)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.2. Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface, and cut it into two long rectangles.3. Add the spices and herbs you are using to the ground sausage meat.4. Divide the sausage meat in half, and shape each portion into a long sausage shape that matches the length of the pastry rectangle.5. Place each sausage-shaped meat onto the pastry rectangles, and brush the edges with the beaten egg.6. Roll the pastry around the sausage meat, and press the edges together to seal them.7. Cut each long roll into smaller sausage rolls, about 2-3 inches in length.8. Brush the sausage rolls with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any additional herbs or spices you desire.9. Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.10. Once cooked, remove the sausage rolls from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips for the best Homemade Sausage Rolls:
- You can make your sausage meat mixture more flavorful by adding chopped herbs, grated cheese, or spices of your choice.
- For an extra crispy and golden pastry, brush the sausage rolls with a little bit of milk or leftover egg before baking.
- Sausage rolls can be served hot or cold, making them perfect for picnics and parties.
- You can freeze the uncooked sausage rolls for up to three months.