The Keg Mushrooms Neptune Copycat version
These mushrooms neptune are inspired by my favorite appetizer from The Keg restaurant. If you don’t know it or there isn’t one near you, I am telling you they are the best i’ve ever tasted. My family makes fun of me because whenever we go to the Keg I always order the exact same appetizer….ALWAYS. I love them that much, so much in fact that I decided I needed to make my own version. This recipe tastes as good or better (according to my husband) than the original. I do use fresh crab and fresh shrimp in my recipe but feel free to use canned, just omit the salt if you are using canned as they are both quite salty already.
You can make these on one big sheet tray or if you want a more elegant presentation then I suggest using what is typically known as an escargot dish. The indentations are also perfect for mushrooms and if you’re serving this at a dinner party then the presentation is impressive. I have linked below to the ones that I have.
This post may contain links to products, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases with no extra cost to you.
Mushrooms Neptune (Keg Copycat recipe)
- 1 sheet tray or individual serving plates I use ones that are also used for escargot, that hold 6
- 24 mushrooms, washed, stems removed cremini or button
- 12 oz Cream cheese, softened equal to 1½ packages
- 4 ounces cooked shrimp meat, finely chopped
- 2 ounces lump crab meat
- 2-3 green onions, chopped small green part only
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp worcestershire
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove, minced finely
- 1-2 drops tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- ½ tsp salt (omit if using canned crab or shrimp)
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Clean the mushrooms, dry and remove the stems (discard stems)
- place mushrooms stem side down in a saute pan on med heat with a bit of oil and cook for 2-3 minutes to release moisture, flip and cook an additional 2-3 min then drain completely on paper towel while you make the filling.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, add the cream cheese and beat until it is soft.
- Squeeze any excess moisture from the crab and shrimp
- then add the 12 oz Cream cheese, softened, 2 ounces lump crab meat, 2-3 green onions, chopped small, ⅓ cup shredded parmesan, ¼ oz fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp worcestershire, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1-2 drops tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- Blend at medium speed for 2 minutes to fully combine
- use a teaspoon or piping bag and fill the mushrooms doming the top (generously fill them)
- Add filled mushrooms onto the escargot dish (or a baking sheet) and put in the oven to bake
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops brown slightly (broil for a final minute to brown the tops if desired-watch them carefully)
- Let them cool slightly before eating as the filling is extremely hot. Enjoy